Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Home Sweet Home




Although I have been back in Wilmington for a few days now it didn't really hit me until the other day when we ate at this southern style family owned restaurant called See Wee in Awendaw South Carolina. Now before I go into telling you how fucking amazing this place is let me explain why we were in Awendaw in the first place. You see my best friend Cicero (like myself) suffers from a severe case of BiPolar disorder so he goes to see a therapist twice a month. However, instead of going to a local one like a normal person he goes to one all the way in Charleston South Carolina about 4 hours away. So that's the reason we were driving through Awendaw and stopped off at See Wee.

Okay now to talk about the fabulousity of this establishment. The interior is very country style with dated wood paneling and brick walls. Originally it was a general store in the early 1900's and was later turned into the restaurant but decided to keep it in it's original state rather than redoing it. It was so great to be reminded how nice and friendly people from the south are, everyone was so nice and fun to be around and that always makes the experience better. Our waitress was the really nice girl named Kristy who we laughed and joked around with the whole time we were there. I know she was loving us.

Now let's talk about the food. I was abso-fucking-lutely loving the fact that they served FRIED GREEN TOMATOES as an appetizer. For those who don't know, they are a southern tradition that go back generations and I can't tell you how much time and effort goes into a perfect recipe for the batter they use. It's like a man's BarBQ recipe or a woman's chili recipe, you get the idea. Growing up my mother and grandmother made the best FRIED GREEN TOMATOES there ever were, The recipe has been in our family for many many years, so I was a little skeptical about trying theirs but I did. They were just amazing. There is just no other way to explain it. I decided to also try their fried eggplant which i wasn't a big fan of but it could possibly be because it had to follow the tomatoes so it may have not got a fair shot *wink* Another thing that I fucking love about eating in the south is the fact that you can get SWEET TEA to drink almost anywhere. Anyone who has ever been to my house can tell you how much I love drinking SWEET TEA because there is always a pitcher or two in my refrigerator. When I first came to Los Angeles I remember asking for SWEET TEA at some restaurant and they brought me unsweetened. After complaining about it I was informed that you have to put the sugar in the tea yourself. Lets face it sugar doesn't really dissolve right in already chilled tea and I don't like my tea to be grainy. Just one of the many reasons the south is so much better.




No comments: